December 26, 2006

Christmas Miracles

The Christmas crap (tree and Decorations) are put away. Yes, I have a holiday tradition of taking down the tree the day after. This year is no different and I am happy to say Christmas is OVER.

We did however have two Christmas miracles happen. The first and most important happened to a family that lives in our community. Their 6 year old son has been best friends with my 6 year old since they were 3. My son's friend found out he had stage four cancer last year and has had a very aggressive year long battle to save his life. He is clean of cancer now but still has a less than 50% chance of living. He also has two brothers who have severe allergies to peanuts and dairy foods combine that with the fact that the dad is a doctor who is currently stationed in Afghanistan and mom is home taking care of 5 children by herself, their Christmas was going to be a very sad one indeed. But as fate would have it my wife casually mentioned them to an acquaintance who owns a golf cart dealership. The owner informed my wife that she gives away a cart to a deserving family every year and you guessed it after all was said and done this family was delivered a new golf cart on Christmas day. The kids were on top of the world and spent the whole day riding that golf cart and instead of a ruined Christmas they had the time of their lives.

The second miracle may not sound like a big deal but it fixes a huge problem for me. My brother, who has three kids that I adore , has a wife that suddenly stopped talking to my whole side of the family about seven years ago. We have no idea why. I'm not just saying that nothing happened, nothing happened and we never could get an answer from my brother. Well I really didn't care if she talked to us or not but the limited access to the children sucks. They are 16, 14, and 14 now, one girl and twin boys. My sister in law has never met my three children or my sisters two. No cards at birth or birthdays, nothing. Then yesterday she showed up for Christmas dinner like the last seven years didn't happen. Gave us a hug, wished us merry Christmas and sat next to us while we broke bread. I have no idea why now but it was nice being around my brothers family at Christmas time. I asked myself if I should forgive her that easy but she's the one who missed out on knowing my kids and knowing the joy of being an aunt. Her loss more than mine.


Well time to look forward to the new year.

7 comments:

Jen said...

Why is there a little circle cut out of that little kid's face up there?
*raise an eyebrow*

David said...

The picture is mine but the kids aren't and I don't feel like I have the right to put their faces in my blog. It's probably silly but that's one of my faults, worrying to much about what others think.

I should have edited the photo on my mac with Photoshop then you wouldn't have noticed.

Jen said...

It doesn't matter where you edited that picture. If that kid didn't have a face I'd notice.
:-P

David said...

I could have just photoshopped your face in there:)

Jen said...

LoL
You can if you want!!
I've always wanted to be skinnier. That'd be one way to get there.
HA HA HA.

Jen said...

That is the cutest little kid ever!!!!

Jen said...

My head still looks great!
*grin*