October 27, 2008

Exactly what I'm talking about



Columnist Leonard Pitts published a column Friday that just goes to prove my point. Though I will give him credit for admitting he is just plain against the death penalty and why. What infuriates me about his column is the fact that he's willing to throw the WHOLE judicial system away for Troy Davis, a cop killer. He states that government makes mistakes all the time so how can we trust it to be right about Davis' guilt or innocence? Please Mr. Pitts, our judicial system has enough checks and balances built into it to assure that anyone put to death is done so with no reasonable doubt. Please, show me a better system. I'll listen.


"I would not wager the change in my sofa cushions on the ability of government to spell my name without error. Yet day after day, we blithely wager the lives of other people on the ability of government to administer justice without error."

~ Leonard Pitts


Davis has had 19 years to prove he was falsely convicted. Through all the appeals, processes and stays of execution no court has found him anything but guilty. Please stop trying to make victims of the guilty, it's offensive to the real victim's family, and to me.

No comments: