September 23, 2008

Somethings should never change

Things change, they always do but sometimes you fool yourself into thinking they won't. This week, after 46 years, yes, 46 years, Larry Munson reported he would stop announcing UGA football games on the radio.

I know, I know... big deal right? But it is a big deal to millions and millions of fans. He is the voice of Georgia football. The only one most of us have known. The one I thought my children would get to know on Saturday afternoons but at the age of 86, yes, that's 86, I should have realized we were lucky to hear him this long.

People loved him for the enthusiasm he brought to the booth. He never hid the fact that he was a UGA fan through and through. Still, even the opposing team's fans like to hear him. It wouldn't be uncommon for a Georgia fan to have a radio on top of his TV so he could watch the game and listen to Larry on the radio. He was just that good.

Even now I can close my eyes, play these clips and remember sitting in my car, screaming with Larry as he painted a picture of victory in my imagination with his words. Especially these two clips because at the end of both his emotions overtake him and expose him for the true fan he is.

The Bulldog Nation will miss your voice Larry but we will never forget you.




1980 Georgia vs Florida (It's biggest rival)



2001 Georgia vs Tennessee

He actually uses the phrase "hobnailed boot" at the end.

No comments: