November 21, 2006

Kramer got kreamed

So the big news of the day is that Michael Richards made many racial slurs during his stand-up performance at a comedy club. What he did was disgusting and he apologized but it will take a long time for him to get past this and rightly so. In America you can say anything you want but there are consequences for unpopular actions. Think about the Dixie Chicks.



My first thought when I heard about this was that Richards was like a lot of the black comedians of the world. A lot of black comedians acts consist of putting down and making fun of white people. Nobody cares that this goes on, there is no outrage and the white people in the audience sit and take it and even laugh. White people seem to understand when someone is joking.



I thought how unfair that white comedians are held to a higher standard and they are. But after seeing the video of Richards comments this was something different. He lost it, I mean he went crazy. His remarks were meant to hurt and cause damage and I could never support or defend that. I could forgive him but I am not the one that it was directed at so it's not up to me. There is a difference between being funny and being hateful.

No comments: